PUBLISHED ON |
16 December 2019
16 December 2019
The FTSE ST Small Cap Index’s 49 constituents – comprising 19 REITs and 30 companies – have a combined market cap of about S$40 billion. REITs in the Index carry a weighting of approximately 69.2%, with companies accounting for the remaining 30.8%.
In the 2019 YTD, the Small Cap Index has generated a total return of 13.3%, compared with total returns of 8.9% and 10.5% for the benchmark STI and broader FTSE ST All-Share Index respectively.
In the YTD, the 5 best performers of the Small Cap Index were: UMS (+84.4%), Hi-P (+83.6%), Indofood Agri Resources (+71.7%), Sasseur REIT (+53.2%) and Ascendas Hospitality Trust (+50.0%). These five constituents have averaged a YTD total return of +68.6%.
The FTSE ST Small Cap Index is a free float-adjusted, market capitalisation-weighted index, representing the performance of small-cap companies that pass size, free float and liquidity screens and trade on SGX Mainboard.
The Index’s 49 constituents – comprising 19 Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and 30 companies – have a combined market cap of about S$40 billion, ranging from S$152 million to nearly S$3 billion. REITs in the Index carry a weighting of approximately 69.2%, with companies accounting for the remaining 30.8%.
In the 2019 year-to-date, the FTSE ST Small Cap Index has generated a total return of 13.3%, compared with total returns of 8.9% and 10.5% for the benchmark Straits Times Index (STI) and broader FTSE ST All-Share Index respectively.
Source: Bloomberg (data as of 13 Dec 2019)
In the YTD, the 5 best performers in the FTSE ST Small Cap Index were: UMS Holdings (+84.4%), Hi-P International (+83.6%), Indofood Agri Resources (+71.7%), Sasseur REIT (+53.2%) and Ascendas Hospitality Trust (+50.0%).
These 5 constituents – with a combined market cap of nearly S$5 billion – have averaged a YTD total return of +68.6%, bringing their three-year total returns to +92.1%. Note that Sasseur REIT does not have a three-year return as it was listed only in March 2018.
The table below details the 10 best-performing constituents of the FTSE ST Small Cap Index, sorted by YTD total returns.
|INDOFOOD AGRI RESOURCES
|ASCENDAS HOSPITALITY TRUST
|ASCENDAS INDIA TRUST
|ACCORDIA GOLF TRUST
|ASIAN PAY TV TRUST
Source: Bloomberg & StockFacts (data as of 13 Dec 2019)
In the YTD, the 5 least-performing stocks of the FTSE ST Small Cap Index were: Breadtalk Group (-22.9%), Japfa Ltd (-17.5%), Duty Free International (-16.0%), China Sunsine Chemical (-15.1%) and Ying Li International (-12.9%). They averaged a total return of -16.9% over the period.
This article is provided by SGX My Gateway.
SGX My Gateway
SGX's investor education portal with market, product and investment information and events. Sign up now at sgx.com/mygateway to receive our investment updates and economic calendar.
This document is not intended for distribution to, or for use by or to be acted on by any person or entity located in any jurisdiction where such distribution, use or action would be contrary to applicable laws or regulations or would subject Singapore Exchange Limited (“SGX”) to any registration or licensing requirement. This document is not an offer or solicitation to buy or sell, nor financial advice or recommendation for any investment product. This document is for general circulation only. It does not address the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any person. Advice should be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of any investment product before investing or adopting any investment strategies. Use of and/or reliance on this document is entirely at the reader’s own risk. Further information on this investment product may be obtained from www.sgx.com. Investment products are subject to significant investment risks, including the possible loss of the principal amount invested. Past performance of investment products is not indicative of their future performance. Examples provided are for illustrative purposes only. While each of SGX and its affiliates (collectively, the “SGX Group Companies”) have taken reasonable care to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information provided, each of the SGX Group Companies disclaims any and all guarantees, representations and warranties, expressed or implied, in relation to this document and shall not be responsible or liable (whether under contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise) for any loss or damage of any kind (whether direct, indirect or consequential losses or other economic loss of any kind, including without limitation loss of profit, loss of reputation and loss of opportunity) suffered or incurred by any person due to any omission, error, inaccuracy, incompleteness, or otherwise, any reliance on such information, or arising from and/or in connection with this document. The information in this document may have been obtained via third party sources and which have not been independently verified by any SGX Group Company. No SGX Group Company endorses or shall be liable for the content of information provided by third parties. The SGX Group Companies may deal in investment products in the usual course of their business, and may be on the opposite side of any trades. SGX is an exempt financial adviser under the Financial Advisers Act (Cap. 110) of Singapore. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. This document shall not be reproduced, republished, uploaded, linked, posted, transmitted, adapted, copied, translated, modified, edited or otherwise displayed or distributed in any manner without SGX’s prior written consent.